The joy of holding your newborn in your arms; what could be more gratifying? Despite their cries and how much they cause you sleepless nights, they’re a priceless and most adorable gift. And as such, you want to give them the best care they deserve.
Caring for your baby is something you must consciously do. It is best to be picky about the choice of products to use on them as well as methods on seemingly general activities, such as baby bathing, laundry, bedtime, etc. Take travelling as an example, It’s crucial to have the correct travel seat for your little one, so browsing websites like Nuna Baby that advertise Nuna, Premium Car Seats, Pushchairs, and Baby Gear AU, is the best way to find the right product for you!
So, let’s begin.
Bathing your newborn
Bathing a baby is one thing that gives new moms the creeps. Well, you can do right with the following tips:
Don’t soak your baby in the tub until the umbilical cord falls off. Use a sponge bath instead. To do a sponge bath:
- Gather the supplies first. These include a bucket or bowl of water, a soft washcloth, a gentle baby wash, and a dry towel.
- Lay your baby on their back on a flat surface next to the supplies.
- Use the damp washcloth gently over their body, face first, and diaper area last. Don’t wet the umbilical cord.
Don’t bathe babies too often. Three baths per week are suff, but ensure their diaper area is clean at all times.
Skin and hair care for babies
It is not only adults who need skin and hair care. Even newborns and toddlers do. But the key is to be particularly picky about baby skin and hair products because their skin and immune system are still very susceptible. Tear free baby shampoo can help balance natural moisture in your baby’s skin and hair without causing eye or skin irritation. Whatever skincare product you purchase for your baby should be made of clean, plant-based ingredients without any synthetics, such as fragrance.
How to wash baby clothes
Baby laundry isn’t very much different from general adult laundry. However, there are things to note.
- Ensure your wash (pre-wash) baby clothes before using them for the first time. This is to ensure your baby gets fresh, toxin-free clothes because manufacturers often add chemicals that may be harmful to your baby’s delicate skin.
- Use only gentle detergent for baby clothes.
- Agitate hand-knitted baby clothes gently, with a gentle detergent or none at all.
- Avoid using dryer sheets if you can, as the fragrance they contain is toxic for your baby’s delicate skin.
- Always check the label of baby clothes to know if you can machine wash and at what temperature.
- Rinse properly, possibly in warm water and at least twice to ensure suds are eliminated.
- Do not wash baby clothes together with adult clothes since they require different detergents, and adult clothes are a storehouse for germs.
- Soak baby clothes in warm water of about 35 degrees Celsius to kill off bacteria.
How to handle your newborn correctly
Shoulder hold: rest the child on your chest and shoulder, with their head on your hand. Your other hand should be on your baby’s bottom.
To pick up a baby, slide a hand under their head and the other under their bottom. Your hands should remain this way when you hold them. Always be careful with your baby’s head, especially around the fontanelles.
Although some things are instinctual, it’s always best to know how exactly to care for your newborn. Being certain brings a whole lot of energy and confidence to give your baby the best care possible.