When it comes to proposing, everyone wants to find the perfect ring. Since it’s a valuable purchase, it’s important to plan ahead and ensure you find something that will make the wearer and your wallet happy. Here are a few tips to make the most of your budget when buying an engagement ring.
Before you begin shopping for a ring, discuss finances and budgets. Try to agree on an affordable amount for the ring, but also discuss your finances, in general, to ensure you are on the same page.
Plan the purchase
Based on the information you have gathered, you can start planning your purchase with the following in mind:
- Save up before you buy the ring
- Do begin with a budget in mind
- Remember you don’t have to follow any so-called rules of thumb
- Figure out her taste before you go shopping
- Consider her lifestyle and her job. You want to pick a ring that is comfortable, and practical.
- Consider different options, like pink diamond engagement rings at The Diamond Jewellery Studio
Pick the stone
Diamonds are the most common stone for engagement rings, but there are plenty of other gems that have become just as fashionable in recent times, enough so to give diamonds a good run for their money. Some alternatives include:
- Moissanite – This is an excellent alternative that is almost colourless. It looks more fire-y, too, is more resistant and durable, and just ideal for an engagement ring, not to mention more affordable.
- Coloured stones – Coloured gems like sapphires and rubies are also popular alternatives and come in at a fraction of the price of diamonds.
There are other C’s to know about
Besides the usual 4Cs of diamonds, there are other C’s to consider that will help you get the most bang for your buck.
- Cost – Do everything you can to stick to your budget. Try not to get emotionally attached to any particular ring, and don’t rush your decision – take the time to do your homework.
- Certification – Certified gems are a good bet. The certificate guarantees the diamond’s 4 C’s as well as other characteristics such as polish and dimensions.
Understand the buying process
Never begin shopping for an engagement ring without going over the above tips. Things can get a little confusing, and you may be talked into buying something way above your budget or just not worth the price tag.
Once you arm yourself with the necessary knowledge, pick a couple of options you think will be perfect for your future fiancée and then begin shopping. Even if you decide to buy the engagement ring online, you should look at diamonds in a store to ensure you know what you want and that it will live up to your expectations.
Finally, make sure you know about the seller’s refund, returns, and exchange policies and remember to have the ring insured.
With all of this in mind, you are sure to get the most for your budget when making that all-important engagement ring buying decision.